ROLE Essay Competition 2019
Rule of Law Education Project (ROLE) has been training law students in the University of Hong Kong to teach the rule of law to secondary school students since 2012. In the hope of deepening the understanding of the rule of law among secondary school students, ROLE is inviting S4 to S6 students to participate in the Rule of Law Essay Competition 2019.
Freedom of expression and rule of law
Form 4 – 6 students in any secondary school
Chinese & English Word limit: Chinese: 900 words in MS Word Format; English: 800 words in MS Word Format
The work will be assessed on the content, structure and language
Each group will have: Champion (1 place): HK$3,000 and certificate; First runner-up (1 place) HK$2,000 and certificate; Second runner-up (1 place): HK$1,000 and certificate; Merit runners (depending on the quality of the essay) will be awarded with a certificate.
The essay must be submitted along with a duly completed application form and a copy of student identity card (of your school).
Submission can be made
1. by email (email@example.com) with “HKU Rule of Law Essay Competition 2019” as subject title; or
2. by post to “Room 9.21, Cheng Yu Tung Tower, Centennial Campus, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong” with “HKU Rule of Law Essay Competition 2019” marked on the envelope.
You can download the application form in t'his page.
No later than 5:00pm 16 September 2019 (Monday); submission time will be based on the stamp date or email receipt time.
1. The participant's name shall only appear on the application form accompanying his/her essay.
2. Plagiarism or impersonation is strictly prohibited.
3. All entries must be original work and have not been published in any form (including any public/private websites, blogs, online forums, newspapers and magazines, etc.), performed or awarded.
4. Participants are not allowed to submit their entries to other competitions before the result of the competition is announced.
5. Essays must be written by a single author; co-authored essays are not accepted.
6. Each participant can submit one essay in either Chinese or English or submit one to each language group. Each author cannot submit more than one essay to each language group.
7. The submitted manuscript is the final version for the competition. We do not accept participants to modify the manuscript after the manuscript is submitted.
8. All entries will not be returned. Please make a copy as necessary before submission.
9. Participants accept that the copyright of their prize-winning essays belong to Faculty of Law, The University of Hong Kong.
10. Please indicate the number of words at the end of the manuscript.
11. The organizer reserves the right to disqualify entries and reclaim prizes awarded should the essays be found to have violated copyright or Hong Kong Laws.
12. The results will be announced on Monday, October 31, 2019, at the ROLE website (www.role.hku.hk). Winners will be invited to attend the ROLE’s High Table dinner and Awards Ceremony in mid-November.
Telephone: 3917 1839